Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Journal Entry 1: Background

Karate is derived from two Japanese words "Kara" which means empty and "te" which means hand. So Karate is literally "Empty Hand." When the suffix "do," pronounced "doe" is added to the end it simply means "way." So Karate-do means that it is more than a fighting style, but is actually a way of life. Karate is broken down into three sections: Kihon (basics), kata (forms) and kumite (sparring).  

Shatokan Karate founder Gichin Funakoshi puts it this way: "True Karate is this: that in daily life one's body be trained and developed in a spirit of humility, and that in critical times, one be devoted utterly to the cause of justice." (See below link) 

I chose the practice of Karate for this project for several reasons. First of all because I have always wanted to learn a martial art and second because I feel that it will not only exercise my body, but also exercise my mind. I feel that I will benefit from this practice, because it will allow me to be in better control of my body and mind and allow them to work together for the good of the whole being. 

Some Changes that I predict would be that I gain a better understanding of Karate-do, not just the martial art, but as a way of life. Another prediction would be that I gain a control over my mind and body that I have not previously had.

No comments: