Thursday, April 10, 2008

Journal Entry 2: Change

I began to study the fundamentals of Karate. This study taught me how to throw a punch correctly, how to execute a proper front kick and showed me the form I would need to learn to attain the yellow belt, beginners start out with a white belt. This form is one that pits you against four opponents. The object is to attack each individually and the form works very logically. You start with the opponent on your left and throw a series of punches, kicks and elbows and move in a circle around you, next attacking the opponent to the rear. The form moves you in a circle attacking each opponent in turn. 

I wanted to find a gym that I could use in order to practice the moves. When I went looking, I couldn't find a gym that could help me with Karate, but I did find one that teaches Taekwondo. Taekwondo is Korean based and utilizes kicks and leg actions more than it uses hand techniques. Karate utilizes mostly hands and throws. I spoke with Master Tim Stanforth, who runs the Hilliard branch of the Oriental Martial Arts College (See related link www.omacworld.com) Master Stanforth was able to accommodate my learning of Taekwondo

I will begin classes hopefully next week if I can work the schedule out. Master Stanforth convinced me to try Taekwondo in lieu of Karate, because he utilizes a much more religious approach to his instruction. He said that in order to obtain the black belt, you must undergo a three day fast along with a 12 hour meditation, in addition to the physical techniques that must be mastered. 

Taekwondo is the South Korean national sport and is also regarded as the world's most popular martial art in terms of numbers of participants. Taekwondo is is taken from three Korean words. "Tae" means feet or kicking. "Kwon" means hands or striking. As in Karate-do, "Do" means path, method or way of life. So Taekwondo is loosely translated as the way of the foot and fist. 

My expectations from this project remain the same. I have changed the name of the entire blog in order to note the change in discipline that I will be studying. 

1 comment:

The Shepherd Family said...

Oh, Stephen, you know you are only taking Taekwondo because Richard is Korean. Come on, admit it! Fess up, will ya????